Formatting Instructions for Your Kanguru Drive
The following instructions are for formatting of our hard drive/flash memory based products. In most cases, you won't need to format the drive because they come pre-formatted for your convenience. However, if you are changing to a new OS, you may need to format the drive.
Formatting under 95/98/98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista
- Double-Click on My Computer
- Right-Click on the drive you want to format
- Choose Format from the menu
- Choose the file system you want to format it with
- Enter a Volume Label (optional)
- Click Start
Note: FAT32 is only compatible with Windows 95 through Vista excluding NT. NTFS is only compatible with NT, 2000, ME, XP and Vista.
Note: When formatting with FAT32 on 2000, ME, XP and Vista there is a 32GB hard drive size limitation. In order to format a drive larger than 32GB, you would need to partition it or using Windows 98 operating system or a 3rd party application.
Formatting under Mac OS X
- Double-Click on the system hard drive
- Open Applications then Utilities folder
- Double-Click on Disk Utility
- Choose the drive from the left side of the screen
- Click on the Erase tab
- Choose the file system and click Erase
Note: When using the Mac OS Extended file system, if you use the drive with OS 9 as well, you will need to check Install OS9 Extensions.
Note: It is recommended if you use your drive exclusively on a Mac that you format the drive in a Mac format to improve performance.